Sunday, June 20, 2010

Book 21: Stardust by Neil Gaiman

"Stardust" is the first Gaiman book that I've read, and I enjoyed it. It's a short book, a trifle of a story about a boy searching for his destiny and finding love along the way.

Tristan Thorn is in love, and willing to do anything for the girl. When a star is spotted falling to Earth, he is tasked with the quest of finding the fallen star and bringing it back to his beloved in exchange for her love. With the help of his father, Tristan sets out into the land of Faerie in search of the star. What he does not know is, the star has plans of her own.

It's your typical fairytale journey, with various creatures that Tristan meets along the way, and it's infused with wit and humor. I've yet to see the movie version, but if it stays faithful to the story, then I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. American Gods and Anansi Boys were both great reads. I couldn't get through stardust, but don't let it turn you away from Gaiman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a very cute fairy tale, with some grown-up stuff thrown in for good measure. I just love Gaiman's stories--they always move along at a quick pace, they're full of great moments and fun characters.

    I highly recommend American Gods! It's my favorite of his!

    ReplyDelete